Toyota showcased something pretty special this week, a car that will make kids and adults alike giddy with joy, a Tonka Toy version of their mighty Hilux.
The HiLux Tonka Concept is a rock crawling beast straight out of the sand box. Conceived, designed, tested and built by the mad scientists at Toyota Australia, the Tonka Concept is a dream come true for many kids and adults, but sadly, it is only a concept and will probably never see a production line.
Covered in ‘dramatic’ black-and-yellow livery, underneath it is the range topping SR5 ‘Lux. But it shares very few of the same features as it’s road-going brother.
The Tonka versions has been given a 6 inch lift, high-riding axle, heavy-duty suspension and is riding on 35’s. They’ve removed the need for a bullbar, providing the beast with a steel front bumper bar. The classic HiLux bonnet has been replaced by a carbon-fibre one with a giant air scoop at the front to funnel air into the 2.8 Litre turbo-diesel.
It has 6mm thick bash plates and scrub rails to protect it from the tough terrain it would be driven through – or any optimistic skippies – and they’ve mounted a high performance off-road LED light bar at the front and on the roof pod to light up the night-time with the power of 1000 suns.
At the back there’s a new tailgate, also wrapped in carbon fibre, that incorporates an integrated spoiler and two air vents for optimal airflow. A durable, lightweight strap rather than a handle releases the tailgate.
Inside the tub, a removable tubular frame keeps all the gear in place, including diesel fuel cans, while storage boxes house the recovery gear needed for extreme off-road driving. A fire extinguisher, axe, shovel and high-lift jack are also fitted.
“We have taken Tonka out of the sand pit and reinvented HiLux from top to bottom and from nose to tail,” said Nicolas Hogios, Product design chief. “The HiLux Tonka Concept is dramatic evidence that our local team loves to have fun, we’re keen to explore new ideas and we’re always looking to push the boundaries of what’s possible.”
The 150 members of the design and development team worked on the project in secret, only showcasing it to the world for the first time yesterday.
Whilst the HiLux Tonka Concept will never see a showroom floor, I for one think it’s a perfect candidate to star in the next Transformers movie. Move over Chevrolet, Bumblebee is now a HiLux!
Full specs are listed below.
The concept car is based on a Toyota HiLux 4×4 double-cab SR5 model with the top-specification 2.8-litre four-cylinder turbo-diesel engine.
|HiLux Tonka Concept||HiLux SR5|
|Final drive ratio||4.05:1||3.909:1|
|Approach angle||35 degrees||31 degrees|
|Departure angle||30 degrees||26 degrees|
|Wheels||17 x 8.5-inch Method NV alloy||18-inch alloy|
|Tyres||35 x 12.5-inch Toyo Open Country M/T-R||265/60 highway|
4WD Portal Axle
• Hub-mounted reduction gearbox supplied by Marks 4WD Adaptors
• Heavy duty springs and adjustable remote reservoir shocks from King Springs
• Steel, airbag compliant, maintains cooling requirements
• Faceted surfacing
• Integrated LED lighting protected by the steel skin
• 6mm alloy with front overriders protect sump and front sub-frame
• Laser cut and TIG welded
• Integrated ventilation slots for cooling engine and front differential
• Carbon-fibre skin is lighter than original steel bonnet
• Front and rear openings for air flow
• Raised centre “power bulge”
• High-performance off-road LED light bar
• Fresh-air cooling ducts for vehicle occupants
• Tubular surfaces protect body and chassis
• Carbon fibre skin
• Two airflow ports
• Integrated spoiler
• Release strap
• Removable tubular frame
• Diesel fuel cans
• Storage boxes for off-road recovery gear
• Fire extinguisher, axe, shovel and high-lift jack
• Custom yellow called “Sun Fusion”